How to create a Government Gateway and Add Services
- Go to HMRC’s login page.
- Click the GREEN sign in button.
- Click “Create sign in details”
- Enter your email address where requested.
- You will now be emailed a confirmation code. Use this code to confirm your email address.
- Follow the online steps entering the appropriate information as prompted.
- You will now be issued with a User ID for your Government Gateway account. Please save this and keep it somewhere safe because if you lose it can create a lot of work in the future!
IMPORTANT: The User ID is sometimes confused for your UTR (personal tax ID number), to know what your UTR number is, click here.
- You will then be requested to choose which type of account you need, select the relevant type from the list:
- Complete the details requested by HMRC for the type of account you select.
Adding Services to your Government Gateway
Before you start, you’ll need the following information to hand:
- Employer’s PAYE Reference number – this can be found on any letters about PAYE from HMRC, payslips, P45s or P60s.
- Accounts Office Reference number – this will look something like this: 123PA12345678 and can be found on most letters from HMRC or on the letter you received when you opened the payroll scheme!
- Log into HMRC Online Services using the Government Gateway account you created
- From the Home screen, click on “Get online access to a tax, duty or scheme”
- Select what you want to add – in this case, Employers or intermediaries and then PAYE for employers
- Enter your details as requested:
- You will then be issued with an activation code through the post – this can take up to 10 days to arrive.
- When you receive the letter, log back into your Government Gateway and activate the service for PAYE by entering your code.
- Once entered, on your home screen you will now see PAYE for employers.