How to create a Government Gateway and Add Services
Friend & Grant Accountants are committed to supporting our clients with a broad range of accounting and tax services. We work with a range of clients from Ambitious Start-ups, to Growing Businesses or Established Businesses and High Net worth Individuals to save tax, save time and protect wealth.
Jess Berry is member of the tax team at Friend & Grant. In the video below Jess talks through our guide on how to set up your own Government Gateway or Personal Tax Account online.
Already set up your account and need to add services? Head straight to our guide for adding services to your government gateway account.
- Go to HMRC’s login page.
- Click the GREEN sign in button.
- Click “Create sign in details”
- Enter your email address where requested.
- You will now be emailed a confirmation code. Use this code to confirm your email address.
- Follow the online steps entering the appropriate information as prompted.
- You will now be issued with a User ID for your Government Gateway account. Please save this and keep it somewhere safe because if you lose it can create a lot of work in the future! IMPORTANT: The User ID is sometimes confused for your UTR (personal tax ID number), to know what your UTR number is, click here.
- You will then be requested to choose which type of account you need, select the relevant type from the list:
- Complete the details requested by HMRC for the type of account you select.
Adding Services to your Government Gateway
Before you start, you’ll need the following information to hand:
- Employer’s PAYE Reference number – this can be found on any letters about PAYE from HMRC, payslips, P45s or P60s.
- Accounts Office Reference number – this will look something like this: 123PA12345678 and can be found on most letters from HMRC or on the letter you received when you opened the payroll scheme!
- Log into HMRC Online Services using the Government Gateway account you created
- From the Home screen, click on “Get online access to a tax, duty or scheme”
- Select what you want to add – in this case, Employers or intermediaries and then PAYE for employers
- Enter your details as requested:
- You will then be issued with an activation code through the post – this can take up to 10 days to arrive.
- When you receive the letter, log back into your Government Gateway and activate the service for PAYE by entering your code.
- Once entered, on your home screen you will now see PAYE for employers.